Formation for individuals and Families - focusing on the whole person - mind, body, and spirit
"The Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."
The Saint Mary of the Mount religious education program seeks to address the faith formation needs of all ages. Our programs aim to introduce the individual to the Person of Christ through prayer, community, Scripture, service and the teachings of the Catholic Church.
Some of our Offerings:
Preschool/kindergarten: Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
- Our 3-6 year olds learn to work and pray in our Level I Catechesis of the Good Shepherd "atrium." Learning happens through working with carefully-crafted materials that illustrate moments of Scripture and the liturgy.
1st-8th grade/parents: Children and Family Ministry
- Our Sunday "Small Discipleship Groups" for elementary and middle schoolers include communal prayer, proclamation of the Gospel, work with a lectionary-based curriculum, and family service projects.
- There is also a "Parent Discipleship Group" that meets during Children and Family Ministry. Parents come together weekly to read and discuss the day's Gospel reading, especially as it pertains to their experiences as parents. There is also a monthly "Parent Session" where all parents come together to pray, learn about what their children are learning, and share discussion.
- Additionally, young children (approximately 2-6 year olds) are invited to Children's Liturgy of the Word during the 11:30 mass to hear and discuss the Gospel in an age-appropriate way.
- First Eucharist, First Reconciliation and Confirmation. Each sacrament includes thorough classroom preparation, as well as intergenerational retreats and meetings aimed at inviting the whole family on a meaningful faith journey.
- The Saint Mary of the Mount Youth Ministry meets once a month and is open to all teens. Teens are also invited to a yearly N.E.T. Retreat onsite.
- For those seeking to learn more about the Catholic faith or to become Catholic. We explore the practices, teachings and life of the church within a supportive community.
Ongoing faith formation
- We hold an annual parish mission retreat, as well as book studies, film viewings, and speaker series throughout the year.
Young Adult Ministry
- Those in their twenties and thirties are invited throughout the year for experiences of Scripture, service and fellowship. There are seasonal six-week Scripture Studies, monthly visits to Gwen's Girls in the North Side to serve struggling youth, and social activities peppered throughout the year.
Small Discipleship Groups
- Gatherings of 6-12 Adults for 6 week series of scripture, reflections, faith sharing, and life sharing.
For more information on any of our formation offerings, please contact Holly, Director of Religious Education click here